The battery lab is an open user facility capable of testing single cells, handmade cells, and batches of up to 25 semi-automated pilot-line cells. The lab is expected to be operational by May 2015.
Unique Science Questions Enabled by this Open Innovation Battery Lab
…for mature technologies
- What chemical reactions at the solid-electrolyte interface decrease battery cycle life? How can we prevent these disadvantageous reactions?
- How is heat dissipated inside the battery as it’s charged and discharged? How can we make batteries safer?
- How does the material you start with in the fabrication lab change throughout the cycle life? What new materials can we develop?
…for emerging technologies
- Since air and moisture are sworn enemies of many technologies, what promising candidates have we missed due to inadequate test facilities?
- Are current industry standard fabrication techniques compatible with these new technologies? How can we redesign the fabrication process to accommodate new battery chemistry?