Don’t miss The University Record’s story on U-M’s Solar Car Team. In mid-October, the team will race through the Australian outback, competing against more than 40 teams from around the world.
ICYMI: UMOR’s assistant vice president for research, Nick Wigginton, received a year-long leadership development fellowship from the American Council on Education. Jessica Durkin will step in as chief of staff during his fellowship.
Faculty in the News:
- Professor Eric Kort, Climate & Space Sciences and Engineering, spoke with Science Magazine about a new study demonstrating that major U.S. East Coast cities, including New York City, are leaking methane at more than twice the previously reported rates.
Events & Opportunities:
- Wed, July 31: UROP Summer Research Symposium
- Wed, July 31: Registration deadline for DOE’s Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Prize
- Wed, July 31: Applications due for Mcity research, development and deployment of new mobility concepts, view the RFP.
- Thur, Aug 1: Applications are due for the UROP Research Scholar Program designed for students who want to expand on their first year and participate in UROP for a second year at an advanced level.
- Mon, Aug 5 – Fri, Aug 9: Predictive Integrated Structural Materials Science (PRISMS) Center’s Annual Workshop
- Tues, Aug 6: Pre-proposals due for NSF Smart and Connected Communities with the Transition to Practice (TTP).
- FrI, Oct 18: Conference on Transportation, Economics, Energy and the Environment (TE3)
- Jan. 2020: Proposals due for NSF Major Research Infrastructure (MRI)
What to Read:
Four major automakers have reached an agreement with California on fuel efficiency rules, bypassing a Trump administration effort to strip the state of the right to fight climate change by setting its own standards.
The growth of the advanced battery industry, coupled with projections for accelerating demand, could spell additional opportunities for West Michigan-based suppliers, many of whom were early adopters to serving the niche automotive sector.
New York Times
An influential group of Democrats in the House of Representatives on Tuesday set an ambitious target for United States greenhouse gas emissions, calling for a reduction to net-zero by 2050.
Policy support for electric vehicles is waning in key markets around the world, potentially softening EV sales and pushing back forecasts for a peak in global oil demand, according to a new report by Rapidan Energy Group.
As if a million pounds weren’t impressive enough, Ford then drove those 42 F-150s onto the railcars and towed everything again, another 1,000 feet. The total weight on the second run was 1.25 million pounds (roughly 567,000 kg). The prototype was basically a freight locomotive.